Saturday, August 4, 2007

Ironic Chef 4 Chili Weekend

I saw the Simpson movie yesterday, lol. Yes I paid over 50.00 for admission and drinks and pop corn for something that was no more than that what I see on TV in rerun after rerun. And the kicker, Homer called me stupid for doing it in the 1st 30 seconds of the movie. Now that that is out of my system, lol.....

The Ironic Chef Chili Weekend

I know that some where on my profile a certain subject regarding me liking a good chili dog has got to be there somewheres. I love a good chili and I know that there has got to be a different Family Favorite Chili Recipe out there for everyone. I know everyone has a favorite Mom's Chili recipe and I would love to see them so come on and lets see how it's done around the world.

I guess I'll start with one of mine and I promise, it's not the Cincinnati Chili recipe from a few months back,.

Mac's Chili

Ingredients

1 lb of ground beef chuck

1 lb of ground pork, sometimes I cheat and use breakfast Sausage that comes in the big log.

2 large onions roughly chopped

2 large green bell peppers roughly chopped

1 can of tomato paste

4 cloves of garlic minced

2 tablespoons of cumin

3 tablespoons of chili powder

1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

a splash of vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano

1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon

1 tablespoon of cocoa

1/2 cup of red wine

2 cups of spicy V8 juice

2 16oz cans of tomato sauce

1 can of stewed tomatoes

1 can of diced tomatoes

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a large deep skillet saute the onions and the peppers in some olive oil. add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano and red pepper flakes. When the fumes are pretty potent add the tomato paste and allow it to caramelize on the bottom of the pan. Add the red wine to deglaze the pan.

Add the rest of the ingredients except for the meat . Bring to a simmer. Break up the meat and add it stirring constantly. I don't like any of the meat to be in chunks so I stir it pretty well and make sure it is broken down very well. As the meat cooks the fat will come to the surface. I do my best to skim this off. I let the chili cook for about 2 hours or until it cooks down to the thickness that I like. If it won't flow off a hot dog bun then it's perfect, lol.

I like to serve my chill as I said, with hot dogs, over rice, by itself with toppings like raw onions. You have to have raw onions with chili. Other toppings are green onions minced, scallions, cheeses of ones choice or sour cream. If one is in the mood for some beans in the chili they are an easy addition.

I hope you have enjoyed the recipe and will take the time to share one of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment