Thursday, August 23, 2018

Toys For The Martial Arts

Here is something a bit different coming from my shop. A couple of individuals that know that I have spent over 40 years involved with the martial arts asked If I could make a few items.

Here are a few of my latest pieces. They have been constructed from white oak.

Several Yubi-bo and a set of Tonfa.

The Yubi-bo are made to fit in the palm of the hand with a cord that wraps around the fingers. The cord that I use and have used since my military days has been paracord.

The Tonfa may be a bit more familiar to most. These are done from 1 1/4" thick White Oak. The handles are spun to fit comfortably in the hand. The thickest part is where I cut a tenon which fits all the way through the handle to fit snuggly into the baton. The tenon itself is a 3/4" diameter. This tonfa set will take some serious abuse and are great for a heavy workout.

Each piece has been sanded to a smooth finish. Treated with boiled linseed oil and then several coats of Polyurethane was applied. When dry, the pieces were buffed to a smooth and comfortable feel.





The Yubi-bo that I make are sized to extend approximately 2" from the ends of the average hand. 


The cord can be knotted and the knots will recess into the Yubi-bo. 
I leave the cords long so that the individuals that they go to, can size the cord to their specifications and styles. 


Yubi-bo Spun on Lathe. The wide end for blunt force blow and a narrow end for pressure. 

Yubi-bo for a wide hand.

If you have an interest in such art, feel free to contact me for custom orders.




No comments:

Post a Comment