Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Another Fire

Yesterday afternoon an F-16 fighter started a forest fire here with a flare. By about 8pm we were beginning to get the smoke and about 3000 acres had burned. By this morning reports ranged from any where between 13,000 acres to 20,000 acres, close to a twenty square mile area. The problem the 1000 plus volunteer fire fighters faced besides the dry conditions was the 20 to 30 mph winds that we have had for the past 2 days.

As I am sitting here I hear the big sigh of relief from all the volunteers for the sky has just opened up and we are having severe thunder storms for the rest of the evening. The fire will hopefully be rained out. Another day and I am sure my young tomato plants I have finally put out in the garden would sure have been tinder, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment