Sunday, August 23, 2009

Huli Huli Pineapple

Description:
Description:
As many of my friends know, I love to grill. On PBS there was a program called Barbecue University and now it has morphed into a program called Primal Grill. In the past I posted a Barbecue Chicken with a coffee rub and coffee Barbecue sauce theme.
Now I am sharring this recipe for those that don't watch TV or have seen the program.
Pineapple is by far my favorite fruit. This recipe is a shocker and is an excellent Barbecued dessert and making it while sitting around enjoying the meal and company gets plenty of oooooos and ahhhhhs. The presentation will blow everyone away and it is almost a shame to cut it up and serve. It goes well with out the ice cream but I love blue berry cheese cake ice cream and decided to serve the chunks of glazed pineapple over that.

Enjoy. IC


Ingredients:
Ingredients:

1 large ripe pineapple

For the glaze:

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 pint blackberry or blueberry ice cream or sorbet for serving (optional)

You'll also need: 1 rotisserie; 8 martini glasses (optional)


Directions:
Directions:
1. Cut the rind off the pineapple, leaving the leafy crown intact. I find a serrated knife works best for this. Even after you've removed the rind, you'll notice some diagonal rows of "eyes" (brown spots)-cut these out, making long diagonal V-shaped cuts to give the pineapple a rippled spiral effect.

2. Make the glaze. Place the butter, brown sugar, rum, cream, lime juice, cinnamon, and salt in a heavy saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Set up your grill for spit-roasting and preheat to high.

4. Using a long slender knife, make starter holes in the crown end and base of the pineapple, pushing the knife lengthwise through the center to facilitate inserting the spit. Working gently but firmly, insert the rotisserie spit through the pineapple. (Be sure to have the first set of prongs on already.) Tighten the prongs. Loosely cover the pineapple leaves with foil. Place the end of the spit in the rotisserie motor socket and turn on the motor.

5. Spit-roast the pineapple until golden brown and tender, about 1 hour, basting with glaze every 15 minutes. You should have about half the glaze leftover for serving.

6. To serve, unspit the pineapple and unwrap the leaves. Show it off because the presentation coming off the grill is way cool.. Then cut it crosswise into slices for serving. Drizzle each slice with leftover glaze.

7. For the ultimate gilding of the lily, cut the pineapple slices in quarters and serve over blackberry ice cream in martini glasses. Spoon the glaze on top and garnish each glass with a pineapple leaf.

17 comments:

  1. How bout you come and cook for my next outdoor bbq party!! I'll let you wear my chefs apron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm that just sounds so good...if you are going to Vero's to cook, I am crashing that bbq party as well,lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're gonna starve to death waitin', Vic. ..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...this is a very interesting recipe. I never thought of roasting a pineapple. But I can already "taste" it. And I wanna come to Vero's bbq party, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pulls out the best tablecloth and all the party hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had better run out and buy some fireworks and some caution tape, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking Vic needs a pink conehead hat. I think she can squeeze it down over her doo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Special note, If you don't have a grill just get all the ingredients into the blender and have a "Glass Of Huli"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol Noooo I don't want a conehead, it looks too much like a dunce hat,lol...

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeaaaaaaaaa!! keep the white chair for Zee too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just painted all my chairs leaf green. (Sure hope we can find them)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mac volunteered to come extra early so he can split us some firewood for a big bonfire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh gosh dont tell Zee she likes the white one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds so good. I love to eat the pineapple off the upside down cake because it was warm. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not splitting anymore firewood, lol. We will just have to burn thast old oak tree right where it fell.

    ReplyDelete