Friday, June 15, 2007

Outdoor Cooking

I have always been throwing recipes on my blogs but I don't think I have ever done much except my last blog concerning Outdoor Cooking. I'm not talking Barbecue here folks, lol.

As a young child I am sure like myself most have done the hot dogs or marshmallows on a stick over the fire. Well, maybe I enjoyed it a little to much for when it comes to cooking with the fire I kept on going.

My grandmother gave me my fist Dutch Oven when I was around 12 years old. It was like receiving an Eagle Scout award to me . (The BSA was not an organization in my area) 30 some years later I still use it when ever possible and I would say that I know at least 4 Eagle Scouts that have learned the art of Dutch Oven Cooking with it and I am sure my grandmother would be proud of that fact.

Dutch Oven Cooking is great just for the simple reason is, that what ever you can cook on top of the stove or in the oven can be taken outdoors and done where you have no stove. I use to do everything I baked in the Dutch Oven with the coals of the fire. I grew up and learned myself, lol. As a Scout Master with the BSA I learned a few tricks myself from a small group of others that also enjoyed outdoor cooking and the use of Dutch Ovens. The greatest trick I learned was the use of Charcoal Briquettes. Each Briquette used equals 15 degrees of heat. When doing a recipe and a certain baking temperature is needed the Charcoal makes it so much more accurate. The coals are divided and placed under the oven and on top of the oven. To me it works better than a regular oven that is indoors.

There is an extreme pleasure when you are in the deep woods with a group of individuals, the rain is coming down, everyone is damp, cold and hungry and for dinner out comes the beef stew and to push it over the edge, Hot homemade bread or biscuits. Lugging a Dutch Oven on the trail is all worth it when one sees the expressions of gratitude and several large Dutch Ovens are setting there empty.




No comments:

Post a Comment