Monday, September 24, 2007

Crowning Around

The Mansion that we are building is at the point where plumbing, electrical and the mechanicals are being installed. One of the owners of my company had the bright idea of going into the kitchen business. There seems to be good money in kitchens around here and contractors can charge any wheres from 30 to 60 thousand for an average kitchen. Most cabinet companies including places like the Home Depot and Lowes are pushing high end cabinets that are made like garbage. I have been in the business for 30 years now and the cost of cabinets just amaze me and boy do people love them and the prices.

I was told I had a kitchen job coming up and I went to the job yesterday. It seems the owner of the company wanted to get a head start on the job and had already set a few of the cabinets towards the end of last week. He was also the one that designed the layout. He did not do a very good job, lol. He never worked into his dimensions the sizes of the Lazy Susans and such and for instance the kitchen sink base was probably off center of the kitchen window almost six inches. All I heard from him for almost 2 hours was what if we did this or what if we did that. Eventually I got tired of hearing it and removed the cabinets he installed and re installed what I could and gave him an order for 2 new cabinets that should have been ordered before the job was started. He kept telling me all day how he had gone over the cabinet layout at least 10 times to make sure everything would work out. Thats funny for I know that all you have to do is take a few basic measurements and head for the Home Depot. They will give you a cabinet layout for free.

By the close of business yesterday I had most of the cabinets and panels installed and went back by myself today. I didn't want anyone in my way. I enjoy doing crown molding and that is what my day consisted of. I had to build panels over the cabinets with a beaded edge that hung over the top of the cabinet and under the panel. I then install the crown molding over the panels. The panels are a modern version of a soffit. None of the lines at the top of the cabinets run from one end to the other and There are plenty of panels, refrigerator boxes and oven units that had to be Crowned Around and I actually had a very enjoyable day. I really enjoy doing crown molding mainly due to the fact that very few carpenters can do it or even want to attempt to do it. I like working alone, lol.

Hope fully those cabinets that had to be ordered will arrive before the granite needs to be installed. I really don't want to have to squeeze them in later. Luckily one of those cabinets sits next to the dish washer so I know that one won't be a problem.

Now I'm going to go eat some Jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment