Sunday, September 9, 2007

Ironic Chef #9, #9, #9, #9..... Corn Bread

I know everyone thought I had forgotten but I am sure you know better than that. I just decided to take Sunday off this week because I was feeling really lazy.





Here in the North East Corn Bread is not something that is eaten very often and when it is most expects corn bread to be more of a corn muffin. Full of sugar and no corn flavor at all.



From my chats with friends I know that the rest of the United States loves Corn Bread and eat it several times a week if not every day. I am asking for this weeks Ironic Chef for your favorite Corn Bread Recipes and a story or 2 to go along with the recipe. Teddy Bear and Vero awhile back where going at it with corn bread and corn pone and this Northern Boy just figured them 2 Hillbillies were just plain nuts but I guess if I lived in the hills I would probably start a feud or 2 figuring my Corn Bread was the best there is too. Of course I am probably going to be considered a real nut case with my corn bread recipe that is to follow.It is not a traditional cornbread and I can't tell you the number of attempts I made to get it where I wanted it. My family appreciates it so I figure it's worth sharing. Certain individuals in my family are very very picky, lol.



Mac's Corn Bread



Ingredients



1 1/2 cups of corn meal


1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour


1 package of rapid rise yeast


1 tablespoon of sugar


1 teaspoon of salt


2 tablespoons of softened butter


1 cup of scalded milk cooled to lukewarm



Directions



In a mixing bowl add yeast, sugar, and milk. Mix together and then add 1 cup of flour and then mix very well. Allow to sit covered for about 10-15 minutes so that the yeast blooms. Add the rest of the flour, corn meal, butter and salt and mix to form a ball. If the ball is to sticky add a bit more flour so that it can be handled.


I then dust a work area and knead the dough for about 6-8 minutes. If the dough gets to sticky I just dust it a little more. I figure I have kneaded the dough long enough when I push 2 fingers onto it and the indentations close very quickly. That tells me I have formed enough gluten in the dough and it won't just fall apart when you go to take a bite out of a nice buttered piece of hot Corn bread.


I let the dough rest for 10 minutes covered and turn the oven on to preheat at 450 degrees.


I then shape my loaf into a log by flattening it into a rectangle about 12" wide by about 16" long. I then roll it up tightly and set the log onto a pizza board that has been dusted with corn meal. (the pizza board is called a peel , if I spelled that right) Yes I actually have one and love to use it, lol.


Through trial and error I have found that letting the dough double in size before baking it isn't the way to go for me. I like it to rise some during baking so after about 40 minutes I slide it into the oven. I actually have a stone in my oven that covers most of a rack. I make sure it is in the center of the oven before I preheat.


Right after I put the Corn Bread into the oven I mist the oven with a spray bottle to make some steam. I do this several time for the first few minutes of baking. Warning, if anyone does this make sure not to mist the light in your oven if you have one there!!


I bake the Corn Bread for I would say close to 30 minutes but rely more on when it is a nice golden brown. When I slide it out of the oven I give it what I call a thump test. If it sound hollow then it is done. I have a wire rack that I use for cooling breads, cookies and cakes and such. I slide the loaf onto the wire rack and I give the loaf a little mist. I then allow the corn bread to sit long enough to get the butter and a cutting knife and start hacking off pieces and slathering on the butter. if anyones hand gets between the piece of corn bread and my teeth then they just are going to lose a few fingers.



I will post an English Muffin recipe later in the week using this Corn Bread recipe with just a little addition. Stay tuned and lets bake some Corn Bread..





Mac




No comments:

Post a Comment