Saturday, June 21, 2008

Cat Story Of My Own

A few weeks ago one of our female cats in heat decided to jump from a window in the middle of the night. My wife is overly attached to cats. I myself like them and have been attached to one or two in my life time but at this moment in my life due to my wife's obsession I think that between our house and my shop we have over 15 of them running around. They say rabbits breed quickly. Cats should have the title.

Anyways my wife has been so upset over the lose of this one cat. She has combed the neighborhood daily. Me, I was kinda glad to have one less cat in the house and the other 4 indoor cats kinda liked it too. The escapee was the alpha bitch.

My wife was searxhing the outdoors at night and the cat would come out of hiding but when my wife would get close to it it would run off. A few nights ago I actually wanted to tell her to try a string but of course it being dark and all I didn't think that that would do much good.

Well the last few nights the cat has been hanging out in our yard but still my wife couldn't get her hands on it. She was out stalking the stand of trees on the side of our house during the middle of the night and a couple neighbor kids freaked out a bit when they heard her. She told them she was chasing her lost cat that had escaped. One of the boys whom was over the age of 18 later took off in his pick up truck and when he drove by my wife who was still chasing her cat he yelled profanities out his window at her. The kid must have some set of balls. Personally I am going to have a chat with him when I catch him pulling out of the driveway one of these days.  My wife was running around until 3;00 in the morning with that cat playing games with her.

Last night after watching several hours of this I decided that my feelings towards my wife were just a whole lot more important than having another pregnant cat in the house. I'll regret it later. I could see her frustration  and could sense her pleading for help so I had to intervene. I told her to sit down and that I would get the cat for her.  I went outside into the pitch black and heard the meows from the cat. They sounded really pitiful. I quietly walked over to the direction of the meows and heard them start to change location. I just stopped and sat down on the ground cross legged. This cat has been sitting on my lap for years. Since it was a kitten. On saturdays it sits on my lap for hours at a time at night and watches tv with me.

I made a few cat type sounds and would you believe that that cat came right over to me. I reached out really fast and off it went but I didn't move. It meowed and I made my cat call noises again and back it came I let it come right up to me this time and then I grabbed it before it could get away and pinned it to the ground. It was so scared and tried desperately to get away. I got a good grab on the back of it's neck with one hand and held it to the ground with the other and yelled for my wife to get a towel to wrap around the cat. I started petting the cat and calming it down. I was to the point that she had calmed down enough to carry her back into the house when my wife started walking towards us with the towel. The cat went nuts. It laid it's teeth into the hand that had been petting her. Next thing my wife just threw the towel over the cat. I could not believe how berserk that little cat went. It must have done an exorcist head spin under that towel because it had a finger from that hand in it's mouth. I refused to let go of her though because I wasn't going to see my wife all upset again. my wife managed to get the towel wrapped around the cat and picked it up. I could feel the teeth from that cat ripping the skin on my finger.

Once inside the cat returned to  normal and acted as if it had never ran away.It probably lost about 1/3 of it's body weight. I cleaned my wounds and can't believe the swelling. I have never actually been bit by a cat before. Of course I am hoping that the cat hadn't eaten a rodent that had been rabid or left the debris from dead beast in my wound like a Komodo dragon would do.

Yes, I remember when I actually liked cats..


9 comments:

  1. Now, that's true love, Mac! I've heard cat bites can be pretty painful. Hope you heal up well. And, thanks for catching the cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and Mac you watch that swelling really good
    a cat bite ..even the ones that have their shots
    are very bad,hubby got bit here my our house cat and had to taken anti-bodys
    hugs for the helping to the wife..I knew you was an old softy all alone..lolol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm Mac, I could use your help catching all these coons that are running around in the yard and eating cat food. Geesh I think I'm feeding half the coons in the county. I'm glad the kitty is back safe in the house. Hope your bites heal ok.
    You make cat type sounds. I would like to hear that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better watch those bites...I was visiting my girlfriend one time and when I got home..it was winter...when I got home I had 4 wild kittens under the hood. I put on leather gloves and the kids got a carboard box. Them kittens bit right thru those gloves and by the time I rounded them up my hands were so swollen...Took kittens to SPCA and went to hospital cuz I couldn't bend my fingers. I had to get a tetnus shot. It took a week of bathing my hands. The doc said I was smart to have come to the hospital and get the shot cuz you never know what kind of infection you can get from cats/kittens. (the kittens were no good...wild...no contact with humans...had to be put down)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Goes over to stand in the 'I agree with everyone else, cat bites can be ugly' line...wonders if those of us standing in this line get a prize or something*...

    ReplyDelete
  6. CATS ! I don't like them...they remind me of 2 or 3 girls I had in school, who hated me. And a few ladies who grew up catty. I love dogs...they don't get hysterical...almost never. I don't have much experience with cats...except a neighbour's cat who thought the neighbour's house extended into mine, and would sneak in at all odd hours and drive my parrot crazy. Hope those cat bites have healed...you and the mrs take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mac you are a hero! I'm so glad you got out and helped your wife find her cat but sure hate to hear that the cat decided to show her appreciation the way she did. My cat is tame and never been outside on the ground since I got her but she sometimes is just as wild as if she had been left to roam and defend for herself. I got plenty of scars to show for it too. My doctor told me that you can get what they call "cat fever" from a cat bite, so you be real careful and go to the doctor if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Mac your the winner of the best cat story that I have heard in a long time. And not to mention a true love story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ouchie!! Hope you are ok from that cat bite....bad kittty!! Glad it's back safe and sound:):)

    ReplyDelete