Monday, November 19, 2007

Ironic Chef #18,

I didn't post the featured item in the title this week for a reason. This week I want to have a Thanks Giving Theme and The themed ingredient is questionable. To word this right, is it Stuffing or is it Dressing?
My favorite part of the Thanks Giving meal is just that. Growing up we would have stuffing which came out of the bird but with a family of 9 no bird could hold enough stuffing to please that many mouths or the guest that were always there for the holiday. So on the side we had what to my recollection was called dressing.
The dressing was made like a stuffing but for some reason it had a few eggs mixed into it before it was baked. The eggs in my opinion were used to keep the stuffing together in a cake like form so that when being served it was cut into squares. It was very moist and delicious. I am wondering if anyone else has ever had dressing or a stuffing made in this manner.
I am looking forwards to seeing some of your families favorite stuffing recipes. I know that stove top hasn't ruined home made stuffing making yet. It my be nice for a quick chicken week night dish but no way can it be taking over Thanks Giving Yet.

My In The Bird Stuffing

Ingredients
8 cups of bread crumbs
4 celery sticks diced
2 large onion minced
1 carrot diced
1 stick of salted butter
1 1/2 cups of stock made from giblets and neck
1 teaspoon of bells Poultry seasoning
Lots of pepper and salt to taste

Directions

Really simple, I just saute the vegetables in the butter, add the bread crumbs that have sat on a broiler pan in the oven at 200 degrees until they are dry, add the stock and seasonings and then shove everything into the bird until it wont take any more. Stuff it loosely, no way, lol. The rest I throw into a casserole dish with a beaten egg or two mixed in .

Corn Bread and Cranberry Stuffing

Ingredients

1 loaf of MY CORNBREAD cubed
3 Sticks of celery diced.
1 Onion minced
1 Carrot grated
1 Stick of salted butter
1 bag of cranberries that have been cooked down with 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of orange juice, a pinch of salt and a small handful of crushed walnuts.
1 1/4 cups of turkey stock made with the parts from the goody bag.
1/2 teaspoon of Bells Poultry Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions

As with the regular stuffing, saute the vegetables in the butter. Mix the rest of the ingredients with the vegetables and butter. And stuff the bird.

If someone does by chance have a favorite Thanksgiving recipe that they would like to share please do. I would love to see a nice southern sweet potato casserole recipe.

17 comments:

  1. Mumbles .... this should be called CAKE and Cranberry stuffing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing this little tid bit: It has been tradition at our house for years. After the turkey goes in the oven, the neck and giblets go into a small sauce pan on the stove and are cooked up to become Mom's breakfast, usually becoming ready to eat just about in time for the parades to start. Everyone else gets Oven Baked egg cups.... bread buttered and formed into a cup shape in a muffin pan, then filled with a broken egg. Baked until the egg is set and the bread is nicely browned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call it dressing as I don't stuff no bird except my husband. lol I don't add egg's to my dressing. I don't like it where you have to cut it. I use white bread, 1 1/2 .bs tore all to pieces, So cornbread that I baked in a 9 X 13 pan. It' so much that it would run over if I had to make extra. lol Celeryand onions, lot's of it. Lot's of Pepper and Chicken Stock. I mix it where it looks like you got too much liquid in it but really you don't have because it all soaks in or evaporates upon cooking. My family loves my dressing and always wants me to make it. Oh yeah I add some poultry seasoning to it while mixing it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i call it stuffing,and i use alot of the same thigns.. I also put it in muffin pans then serve it .... sounds delish as always mr. mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't really follow a real recipe, but eyeball it mainly...but it usually contains: butter, onions, celery, bacon, cubed dry bread (no cornbread) salt, pepper, eggs, poultry seasoning, sage, chicken stock and sometimes some Watkins chicken soup base...mixed and baked in a casserole dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting different ways of preparing the stuffing and dressing. To me Stuffing is just that...ya stuff the bird with it and dressing is baked in a pan as a side dish served with giblet gravy and cranberry sauce. I make mine the old fashioned Southern way so we make corn bread dressing. No matter what way stuffing or dressing is made, it certainly is tasty lollol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call it stuffing now but I have called it dressing too. We just use Mrs Cubinson and lots of celery and onions and chicken broth and stuff it in the turkey and we have to make more too so we have some made on the side too. But I never used eggs in it. hmmmmm interesting. I also like to mix my cranberry sauce into my stuffing.I loveeeee stuffing or dressing whatever its called I like it .

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOOOOh Vic uses Watkins products too. I just bought two big bottles of Watkins vanilla today. NONE BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Mac, I dont really have a stuffing/dressing recipe. I usually start with purchased seasoned crumbs (don't scream) and add lots of butter , onion, celery, stock, black pepper, all the good stuff. I knew a lady once who could make scrumptions dressing with just bread, butter, water and seasonings. It tasted like it was made with stock when really it had never been close to a turkey.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite things for Thanksgiving dinner (besides the turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli and pecan pie) is fresh hot, home-made rolls with lemon butter on them. Yum!

    Ingredients:

    1/2 pound butter
    4 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    1 pound sugar
    3 lemons, zest only
    4 lemons, juice only


    Directions:

    Melt butter in saucepan until melted. Remove from heat. Add beaten eggs, sugar, zest and juice. Stir and cook until it is the consistency of honey. Refrigerate.



    Enjoy your evening, Mac, and have a super Thanksgiving!

    And, no...that's NOT broccoli and pecan pie. That's broccoli...stop...and pecan pie...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sets out a tray of celery sticks, half with peanut butter and half with cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a big fan of Bob Evans Sausage. I make this stuffing often for stuffing different things like chicken breast, pork chops, veal roast or even mush rooms. I have even cheated a time or two and mixed the sausage in with a box of Stove Top Stuffing mix.

    SUBMITTED BY: Bob Evans® and Owens®
    "This is a great recipe for stuffing. Delicious enough for Thanksgiving, but easy enough for any day of the week."
    PREP TIME 15 Min



    INGREDIENTS

    * 1 pound Bob Evans or Owens® Savory Sage or Original Recipe Sausage Roll
    * 1 large onion, diced
    * 3 stalks celery, diced
    * 1 (14 ounce) package cubed stuffing
    * 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    * 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
    * 1/2 cup melted butter



    DIRECTIONS

    1. In a large skillet over medium heat, crumble sausage. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is brown. In a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish, place cubed stuffing. Add sausage mixture. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Pour broth and butter over the top and toss to combine. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most that really know me can tell you that I am not a big fan of seafood. I do like shell fish though as long as it is cooked, lol, I will never suck a slimy critter off a shell and let it slide down my throat like a slug on a super slide.

    When I use to cook in a fine eating establishment what seemed eons ago one of the items we had on our menu as a regular item was Oyster Dressing. Hard to believe but we also served this dressing broiled on the Oyster shells as an Oyster type Rockefeller. I loved this and every once in a while I will treat myself to the joy of having some.

    Oyster Rockefeller (Mac's Version) Dressing

    INGREDIENTS:

    * 1 cup butter or margarine
    * 1 cup minced onion
    * 2 cups of small oysters, drained and chopped (16 0z can)
    * 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
    * 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    * 2 stalks of celery with leaves finely chopped
    * 10 to 12 cups dry bread crumbs
    * 2 eggs
    * 2 cups of chicken stock if the dressing is not going to be used to stuff a turkey

    PREPARATION:
    Melt the butter in skillet; add the onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes; add oysters, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and beaten eggs. (no stock if the dressing is going into a turkey)This probably makes about 10 cups of dressing for filling a turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I havent seen wipple in a long time, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. psssttt....I like my celery stuffed with pimento cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came up with the cranberry mix in the stuffing along time ago. We had gone to a restaurant here called Boston Market. (Take home food) They made a cranberry Compote for one of their side dishes. I was making cornbread stuffing and just happened to see the container of the compote in the fridge so being the dumper of things into other things, you can guess what I did. My wife and I both love cranberries and were pleasantly surprised.
    Throws a pimento at Vic.

    ReplyDelete