Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Tear Jerker For Everybody.

Everyonce in awhile I come across something that just has to be passed on. The following reminds me of an old trucking number called Teddy Bear from back in the early 70's. I hope everybody enjoys it. It is a tear jerker.

 

Get out your tissues!


 

































 


The Folded Napkin  .. 







A  Truckers Story





If this  doesn't light your fire..your wood is wet!








I try not to be biased, but I had my doubts about  hiring Stevie. His placement counselor assured me that he would be a good,  reliable busboy.  But I had never had a mentally handicapped employee and  wasn't sure I wanted one.  I wasn't sure how my customers would react to  Stevie.



He was  short, a little dumpy with the smooth facial features and thick-tongued speech  of Downs Syndrome.  I wasn't worried about most of my trucker customers  because truckers don't generally care who buses tables as long as the meatloaf  platter is good and the pies are homemade.



The four-wheeler drivers were the ones who  concerned me; the mouthy college kids traveling to school; the yuppie snobs  who secretly polish their silverware with their napkins for fear of catching  some dreaded "truck stop germ" the pairs of white-shirted business men on  expense accounts who think every truck stop waitress wants to be flirted  with.  I knew those people would be uncomfortable around Stevie so I  closely watched him for the first few weeks.




I shouldn't have worried.  After the  first week, Stevie had my staff wrapped around his stubby little finger, and  within a month my truck regulars had adopted him as their official truck stop  mascot.



After that, I  really didn't care what the rest of the customers thought of him.  He was  like a 21-year-old in blue jeans and Nikes, eager to laugh and eager to  please, but fierce in his attention to his duties.  Every salt and pepper  shaker was exactly in its place, not a bread crumb or coffee spill was visible  when Stevie got done with the table.  Our only problem was persuading him  to wait to clean a table until after the customers were finished.  He  would hover in the background, shifting his weight from one foot to the other,  scanning the dining room until a table was empty.  Then he would scurry  to the empty table and carefully bus dishes and glasses  onto his cart  and meticulously wipe the table up with a practiced flourish of his  rag.



If he  thought a customer was watching, his brow would pucker with added  concentration.  He took pride in doing his job exactly right, and you had  to love how hard he tried to please each and every person he met.  



Over time, we  learned that he lived with his mother, a widow who was disabled after repeated  surgeries for cancer.  They lived on their Social Security benefits in  public housing two miles from the truck stop. Their social worker, who stopped  to check on him every so often, admitted they had fallen between the  cracks.  Money was tight, and what I paid him was probably the difference  between them being able to live together and Stevie being sent to a group  home.  That's why the restaurant was a gloomy place that morning last  August, the first morning in three years that Stevie missed  work.



He was at  the Mayo Clinic in Rochester getting a new valve or something put in his  heart.  His social worker said that people with Downs Syndrome often have  heart problems at an early age so this wasn't unexpected, and there was a good  chance he would come through the surgery in good shape and be back at work in  a few months.




A ripple of  excitement ran through the staff later that morning when word came that he was  out of surgery, in recovery, and doing fine.



Frannie, the head waitress, let out a war hoop and  did a little dance in the aisle when she heard the good  news.



Belle Ringer, one of  our regular trucker customers, stared at the sight of this 50-year-old  grandmother of four doing a victory shimmy beside his  table.



Frannie  blushed, smoothed her apron and shot Belle Ringer a withering  look.



He  grinned.  "OK, Frannie, what was that all about?" he  asked.



"We just got word  that Stevie is out of surgery and going to be okay."



"I was wondering where he was.  I had a  new joke to tell him.  What was the surgery about?"



Frannie quickly told Belle Ringer and the  other two drivers sitting at his booth about Stevie's surgery, then  sighed:  "Yeah, I'm glad he is going to be OK," she said.  "But I  don't know how he and his Mom are going to handle all the bills.  From  what I hear, they're barely getting by as it is."  Belle Ringer nodded  thoughtfully, and Frannie hurried off to wait on the rest of her tables.   Since I hadn't had time to round up a busboy to replace Stevie and really  didn't want to replace him, the girls were busing their own tables that day  until we decided what to do.



After the morning rush, Frannie walked into my office.  She  had a couple of paper napkins in her hand and a funny look on her  face.



"What's  up?" I asked.



"I  didn't get that table where Belle Ringer and his friends were sitting cleared  off after they left, and Pony Pete and Tony Tipper were sitting there when I  got back to clean it off," she said. "This was folded and tucked under a  coffee cup."



She  handed the napkin to me, and three $20 bills fell onto my desk when I opened  it.  On the outside, in big, bold letters, was printed "Something For  Stevie".



"Pony  Pete asked me what that was all about," she said, "so I told him about Stevie  and his Mom and everything, and Pete looked at Tony and Tony looked at Pete,  and they ended up giving me this." She handed me another paper napkin that had  "Something For Stevie" scrawled on its outside. Two  $50 bills were  tucked within its folds. Frannie looked at me with wet, shiny eyes, shook her  head and said simply: "truckers."



That was three months ago.  Today is  Thanksgiving, the first day Stevie is supposed to be back to  work.



His placement worker  said he's been counting the days until the doctor said he could work, and it  didn't matter at all that it was a holiday.  He called 10 times in the  past week, making sure we knew he was coming, fearful that we had forgotten  him or that his job was in jeopardy.  I arranged to have his mother bring  him to work.  I then met them in the parking lot and invited them both to  celebrate his day back.



Stevie was thinner and paler, but couldn't stop grinning as he  pushed through the doors and headed for the back room where his apron and  busing cart were waiting.



"Hold up there, Stevie, not so fast," I  said.  I took him and his mother by their arms.  "Work can wait for  a minute. To celebrate you coming back, breakfast for you and your mother is  on me!" I led them toward a large corner booth at the rear of the  room.



I could  feel and hear the rest of the staff following behind as we marched through the  dining room.  Glancing over my shoulder, I saw booth after booth of  grinning truckers empty and join the procession. We stopped in front of the  big table.  Its surface was covered with coffee cups, saucers and dinner  plates, all sitting slightly crooked on dozens of folded paper napkins.   "First thing you have to do, Stevie, is clean up this mess," I said.  I  tried to sound stern.



Stevie looked at me, and then at his mother, then pulled out one of  the napkins.  It had "Something for Stevie" printed on the outside.   As he picked it up, two $10 bills fell onto the table.



Stevie stared at the money, then at all the  napkins peeking from beneath the tableware, each with his name printed or  scrawled on it.  I turned to his mother.  "There's more than $10,000  in cash and checks on that table, all from truckers and trucking companies  that heard about your problems.  "Happy  Thanksgiving,".



Well, it  got real noisy about that time, with everybody hollering and shouting, and  there were a few tears, as well.



But you know what's funny?  While everybody else was busy  shaking hands and hugging each other, Stevie, with a big, big smile on his  face, was busy clearing all the cups and dishes from the  table.



Best worker I ever  hired.





Plant a  seed and watch it grow.



At this point, you can bury this inspirational message or forward it  fulfilling the need!



If you shed a tear, hug yourself, because you are a compassionate  person.




No comments:

Post a Comment