Monday, October 9, 2006

Meat Loaf Recipes Wanted

Ok, everybody go ahead and laugh about this request. I am a believer that another comfort food is meatloaf. I am sure that everyone makes a meatloaf custumized to what their families like. Some like my family has several Meatloafs that their families love. We make an Italian meatloaf and a more traditional meatloaf.

I have had meatloafs that had a tomato glaze, some that used rice instead of bread crumbs and have even had a few with hard boled egg suprises inside them. I have had meatloaf with different Vegtables in them like peppers and onions or carrots and a really wierd one that had cabbage in it and I actually thought that it was pretty good.

I make my traditional meatloaf,  start with about 1lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork. I mix the 2 together and add 2 eggs and mix very well. I love using Lipton beefy onion soup mix so of course I add 1 pack of that. We like black pepper so I add that, Probably about a 3rd of a teaspoon if not more and a few cloves of garlic minced. After mixing again I add about 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs. I may use more or less. I want a moist meat mixture. Not to wet or dry. After mixing in the bread crumbs which I always do with my hands I then shape the meat mixture into a loaf. I then place the loaf on a broiler pan so that as it cooks any excess grease from the meatloaf baking drips away. I then place aluminum foil over the meatloaf and place it in a preheated 350degree oven for 35 minutes, I then remove the foil cover and continue baking for about 20 minutes or until a nice crust forms on the outside of the meat loaf. Of course I use another pack of the Beefy Onion Soup mix to make my gravy.

I also use the same meat mixture to make swedish meatballs and salisbury steaks. For an Italian style meatloaf we use instead of Onion soup mix, Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix. Good Seasons is one of my favorites. I use it so much for so many different recipes and marinades that I have renamed it Four Seasons.  cause I use it year round. For the Italian Style meatloaf we also add a little tomato paste to the meat mixture and also brush some on the top of the loaf.

I am really interested in  everyones meatloaf recipe so if you can find the time throw them at me. Lets see how interesting they can be from one area to another, North, South, East and West. I want to see who makes one wrapped in bacon or stuffed with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment