Friday, December 29, 2006

Who Likes Ham

I am not a big fan of ham. I grew up having the traditional canned ham for Easter dinner with the cloves stuck in it and the pineapple rings with the cherries in the center. I never could understand why anyone would waste good pineapple by baking and browning it on a ham.

My wifes family will have a turkey for Thanksgiving but every other holiday and it's a spiral ham. One year my mother inlaw decided to do a Smith Field ham and didn't follow the directions. She didn't relize that the ham needed to be soaked before baking. She relized when I was asked to grab a SawZall from the truck for carving because a knife just wasn't doing the trick.

This year I recieved a fresh smoked boneless 9lb ham for a present from work. I'm figuring my future lunches wil be ham salad for many weeks to come. I do love ham salad.

Today I am making that ham. I have it heating through in a 325 degree oven with a brown sugar and brown mustard glaze that I made. I am actually looking foward to having this ham tonight. I invite you all over for some so make it quick, lol.If you can't make it today I will be making some cream of potato soup this week and probably some ham, green beans and potatoes. I'm sure some ham and cheese omlettes will be made for brekfeast tomorrow and we will surely have some homemade "Mac" and cheese with ham and diced tomatoes. I also do a baked bacon that I cover with brown sugar, mustard and my secret ingredient that is also in my glaze , lots of crushed black pepper. I have been requested to make ham slices like that for brekfeast tomorrow also. I will sicken everyone with the fact that I will be freezing some of the left over ham so that I can make a nice homemade pea soup in a few months. Homemade pea soup is so much better than the stuff they call pea soup from a can and the smokie taste from ham makes it taste so much more rustic. That goes for navy bean soup too.

So you all come on now and make sure you bring your bibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment