Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

One of my favorite memories of a food while growing up was my mothers pumpkin bread. I have tried many recipes through the years and never had much success making it. It didn't matter how long I baked it or the heat, for some reason I could never get it right and always ended up with a gooey center.

I finally came up with  a recipe that produces the best pumpkin bread and I made several loaves yesterday. I wasn't home when my daughters came home from school to find when I did arrive that most of one loaf that I had made in a bundt pan has almost been entirely eaten. I asked them how the pumpkin bread was and they gave me that surprised look, "pumpkin Bread, like we thought it was carrot cake". I didn't know whether to be offended or honored because I know that they love carrot cake. I also knew that it definitely had a very nice pumpkin flavor.

The recipe

Pumpkin Bread Recipe

 



       Ingredients

  *   1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    * 1 cup vegetable oil
    * 4 eggs
    * 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 3 cups white sugar
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder

   

DIRECTIONS

   1. Combine pumpkin, oil and eggs. Sift together dry ingredients. Combine the two mixtures, blending thoroughly.
   2. Pour into 2 greased 9 x 5 x3  inch loaf pans and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 hour.

I didn't have a 9"x5"x3" bread pan. Mine is 9"x5"x5" and I filled it 3/4 full. I had enough of the mix left over to also fill a bundt pan half way. After baking for an hour I checked them and put a skewer into the one in the bread pan and it wasn't done. The one in the bundt pan wasn't either. I baked them for another ten minutes and the one in the bundt pan was done but not the one in the loaf pan. I baked the one in the deep loaf pan for a total of 1 1/2 hours before the skewer came out clean.

The reason for liking this recipe.... If anyone has seen my NY Apple cake recipe, besides for the pumpkin pie spices, it's almost the same recipe.


18 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Mac...I love pumpkin bread:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I wasn't done editing yet. I posted the recipe instead of it being an attachment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter how it posted, as long as it did ..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhh I'm gonna have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm, Mac , I love your apple cake so I am sure going to try this one! Just in time for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure no one will be to disappointed with this recipe. The piece I had this morning, just like the apple cake, is even moister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if it would be good with a cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont usually frost breads but the idea sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me Vero, what time will it be ready???

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny that you mentioned frosting Vero. I bought some cream cheese frosting for a carrot cake I was going to make and found that my daughters were cutting off slices of the pumpkin bread for a late night snack and putting the cream cheese frosting on as one would do with butter. It honestly doesn't need it but kids do the darndest things, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good and I bet it's as moist as my carrot cake. I would rather not have a frosting on either one of them because they are so good without.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to try it...we dont get cream cheese here..so will do without. Ty Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zee, they must have an equivalent of cream cheese that they squeeze out of goats. I'll have to do some research. I don't care for cream cheese frosting on anything but cake but I do like a nice slab of cream cheese on these types of breads or bagels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mac the more I hear what you like the more I know you and I would get along just dandy. lol Bagel's and cream cheese are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm love pumpkin bread but I want the apple cake recipe too,lol....(if it's over on 360 I will go search for it)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummmm Mac. Those daughters of yours have good taste!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is nearly the same as my recipe Mac. It's very good and stays moist. It's good if you also add a small can of drained crushed pineapple. I like the cream cheese frosting on it too, but it's not really necessary.

    ReplyDelete