Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sausage And Peppers

Description:
I love Italian Sausage served on a nice torpedo shaped roll topped with sauteed peppers and onions. The smell alone drives me nutz with anticipation.
Some like sauce on theirs but not me. I want to taste the sausage, peppers and onions.
I like to use sweet sausage but at times crave spicy.

Ingredients:
6-8 links of Italian Sausage
2 large onions halved and sliced.
3 Sweet Bell Peppers, color doesn't matter, halved, cored and sliced into strips.
2 cloves of smashed and minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
In a skillet, brown the Italian sausage over medium high heat turning every few minutes to produce even browning all the way around.
Remove the sausage from the skillet. Add the garlic, peppers and onions, Reduce the heat to low. Place the sausage back in the skillet over the onions and peppers.
Cover the skillet and allow the sausage, peppers and onions to get to know one another. The flavors will meld together. After about 10 minutes taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.

One of the most important things with a Sausage Sandwich is the roll. The roll has to be a good one. Crusty exterior with a nice soft center. To serve the sandwich, cut the roll in half. lay 1-2 sausage on each roll, load with the sausage and peppers. Wrap each sandwich with foil, allow to sit for about 10 minutes. The juices from the vegetables and sausage seep into the bread.

Enjoy, IC

6 comments:

  1. I have never cooked much with Italian sausage. I can see I'm gonna have to experiment a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Vero, really. I guess that's one of the differences I enjoy so much with our internet sharing of recipes. I don't ever remember a time in my life not having Italian sausage on hand for something.

    If you go to a fair or festival in your area, do they have sausage sandwiches? They are as common here as is cotton candy and fried dough. A good sign a Fair is near, you can smell the sausage and peppers cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it on pizza,my dad was the first person to introduce me to the stuff. He made lasagna with an italian sausage and beef mixture. He never had a recipe for it though, it was always by sight and feel, like most cooks,lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Italian Sausage, gonna have to try this one day real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should eat before reading recipes,.. my tummy is growling at me

    ReplyDelete