Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chicken Soup

Description:
This a a soup recipe for those of you that want the real thing. Just a good old fashion bowl of soup.
The process of making the stock may seem to be a pain in the butt but it's well worth it

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, about a 3 pounder, cut into pieces
1 onion rough diced
4 carrots rough diced
3 stalks of celery rough diced
1 clove of garlic, minced very fine
1 tsp of Bells poultry seasoning
a dash or 2 of ginger

Cooked good chicken meat that was reserved
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion minced
1 stalk of celery diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of Egg noodles

Directions:
Place the cut up chicken pieces in a dutch oven type pot that has been coated with a tablespoon or 2 of vegetable oil and brown over a medium high heat.
Remove the browned chicken and saute the onions, carrots and celery until soft. Add the chicken back to the pan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 1.2 hour.
Remove the chicken and allow to cool enough to get the meat off the bones. I try to pull the breast meat of whole so I can dice it up. Add the bones and any meat you don't want in your soup back to the liquid and simmer for about an hour. ( I usually just reserve the breast and thigh meat) Strain the liquid and discard bones and cooked remains. I like to fish out bones and try to press the cooked vegetables through a fine mesh strainer. All that pulp is good flavoring.
To the nice chicken stock you now have, add the reserved chicken, vegetables and spices. Bring to a simmer and add egg noodles. Cook for 10 minutes. Agg salt and pepper to taste. Soups on.

Enjoy, IC

6 comments:

  1. Gonna try this one as well ..Garlic is what makes the soup..I use it in just about every meal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here little. my grandma taught me as a kid to always add a touch of garlic to any raw meat when cooking it as a kid.
    I don't know if she had said it killed some bacteria or worms in the meat as an old wives tale or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy. Nothing like having a good stock to make a great soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Mac, I remember from a past blog, maybe it was over on 360 where you had made a version of chicken soup with wonton wrappers? I keep telling myself I need to try that novel idea..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vic, I have also used flour tortillas cut into strips. They come out like flat dumplings. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh the tortillas sound quick and easy ...I am all for easy,lol

    ReplyDelete