Friday, October 9, 2009

Porcupines

Description:
Rice as a themed ingredient. I love rice just as much as I love pasta and potatoes and just about any way I make pasta potatoes I will cook up a rice dish. But as a themed ingredient I will say my favorite would be Porcupines. A Porcupine is nothing more than a filling for a stuffed pepper or cabbage cooked by itself in a meatball type form. Cook it in a tomato or gravy type sauce and it's a meal.

Ingredients:
1 lb of ground beef
3/4 cup of un cooked white long grained white rice
2 eggs beaten.
1 small onion minced fine
A dash of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup of dried bread crumbs. Plain or Italian Seasoned.

! quart of a tomato based sauce or a brown gravy


Directions:
Combine the ground beef, rice, and seasonings and mix well. Add eggs to the meat mixture and stir in till well blended. If mixture is to loose add a bit of bread crumbs to tighten.
Refrigerate for about and hour to let the mixture to build some flavor and let the fat from the ground beef set up.
Place gravy or sauce into a 6 quart pressure cooker and start heating over medium high heat. My favorite for this is actually V8 Juice.
Form chilled meat and rice mixture into 8 good sized meatballs. Place into pressure cooker and then follow pressure cooker directions. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and allow to cool without releasing the pressure. Serve the porcupines with nice crusty home made bread and butter and a salad.. Spoon sauce or gravy over the Porcupines.

Enjoy, IC

6 comments:

  1. Never thought of using V8 juice, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a dish I would enjoy. Never heard of anything being call porcupines that you could eat. By the way...Do you have to have a pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I do have pressure cookers. Both for cooking and canning and love to use them. I really appreciate having one for making stuffed peppers, cabbages or for the porupines. I hate my rice being under cooked or being mushy if using cooked rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic, I love to use V8 juice for dishes like this. Specially with stuffed peppers. I love the taste the sauce takes on. At times I will also add a touch of chicken stock too. Heavy jarred sauces are just to thick and do not stand up to the cooking times to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really would like to serve more rice but half the family won't eat it any way except as a cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. salt pepper and butter Vero or milk and sugar?

    ReplyDelete