Sunday, October 11, 2009

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Description:
I love clam chowder. Both new England and Manhattan but it seems that when out you can only get New England.
I love to make it home made because I can control the clams that go into it. There is nothing like a hot thermos of clam chowder on a cold day at work.

Ingredients:
1 lb of Little Neck Clams (removed from shells and minced) Save the juice
3 tablespoons of butter (optional, 4 slices of bacon)
1 large can of v8 juice
2 large potatoes diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion diced fine
1 cup of corn
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1/2 packet of Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 cup of lemon juice
An IC Twist- 1/2 cup of miniature pasta Shells

Directions:
melt butter in a dutch oven type pot. Add the clams,onions, Old Bay Seasoning, red pepper flakes and cook over medium high heat until onions are soft. I do at times use about 4 strips of bacon instead of the butter for a more intense flavor. After the onion has softened add the potatoes and cook until and excess liquid or drippings are absorbed.
Add the V8 juice, lemon juice,reserved clam juice and corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on medium heat for at least 20 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup of miniature sea shell shaped pasta and cooked for an additional 10 minutes.

I am a big fan of filling my bowl of this soup with crushed saltine crackers to thicken the broth just a bit as I eat it. If no crackers are on hand then its dipping a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich into the broth. Ewwwww, pb&j in a fishy broth, lol.I love PB&J sandwiches with almost any soup.

Enjoy, IC

6 comments:

  1. Okay you are going to have to enlighten me....Just what exactly is the difference between New England clam chowder and Manhattan clam chowder? Is it the variety of clams used? Here in the midwest we just can't get really fresh seafood like you can on the coast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic, New England Clam chowder has a white cream type sauce. It's like potato soup with clams in it. Manhatten clam chowder has a tomato base broth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even here on the coast, I have used canned clams too at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you learn something new every day,lol....For some reason I thought most or all chowders had a cream type sauce....I can see I am going to have to do some googling..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband would love this chowder. I don't like clams so I'd let him have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat clams...but now I know the kind of chowder my hubby has eaten would be called New England Clam Chowder. I will just have the V8 Juice straight up please. : )

    ReplyDelete