Sunday, January 28, 2007

Cranberry Cobbler

I recently copied a recipe from JudyE for an easy cobbler and easy it is. I made a blueberry cobbler yesterday using her recipe it it turned out excellent. I used frozen blue berries and I thought for that reason my baking time had been thrown off. I told JudyE that here in the north east we tend to like things on the sweet side too. I can see every southerner rolling their eyes over that because you all think us yankees ruined cornbread for that reason. I made a few minor changes to the original recipe that I copied from JudyE and I hope that she won't get mad at me for it. The following is a cobbler that I made today using some of the cranberries I still have frozen in the freezer left over from the holidays.

Cranberry Cobbler

Ingredients

½ stick of butter

1 cup of self-rising flour

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of milk

½ teaspoon of cinnamon

2 cups of frozen cranberries

½ cup of orange juice

½ cup of sugar

I was very tempted to add walnuts to the cranberry mixture but held off. Maybe next time.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan add the cranberries, orange juice and 1/2 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until berries pop. Remove from heat and allow cooling.

In a casserole dish, (I use an oblong dish that’s about 10” long, 8” wide by about 4” deep) melt the butter in the bottom of the dish in the microwave. About 45 seconds. Mix together the sugar and self-rising flour and cinnamon. Whisk in the milk but don’t over mix. Pour the batter over the melted butter and then spoon the cooled cranberry mixture over the batter. Do not mix.

Bake the cobbler for 60 minutes or until the entire top is a nice deep golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the cobbler to rest for about 15 minutes before serving. Excellent served hot or cold.

My daughter's that just came home from school and looking for a snack just had some of this cobbler and thought that I had actually used cherries for some reason. They loved it and that's a plus for they won't usually eat cranberry anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment