Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Found Recipe

I remember a cake from many years ago that I always for some reason called a 1-2-3 cake. I have searched every wheres for a recipe but to know avail.  Well surprise surprise, while doing some packing of things to move I came across some old recipes. To believe I could be happy to find such a stupid recipe, lol. It's like finding an old friend.

War Cake, (No war cake recipe I have searched even resembled this recipe)

3 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cups of cocoa
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Mix dry ingredients above in a clean baking pan.

Make 3 holes in the dry mixture.
1st hole, put 2/3rds cup of cooking oil
2nd hole, put 2 tbs of vinegar
3rd hole, put 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.

Pour 2 cups of water over all and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes or until done.

It's just a simple recipe but for some reason I find it's the best chocolate cake to my taste. I remember receiving this cake baked in coffee cans when I was in the service. Several sent to me had actually been burnt, lol. But anyways I am very happy to have it. As I said, it's a simple recipe with simple ingredients that always seems to be on hand. For a frosting a simple vanilla confectioners sugar frosting works just fine. When I make this there will be a can of pie cherries on it too.


8 comments:

  1. Awwwww I am happy you found it. I have my moms old recipes... even the one that I used when I baked my first cake. It was called "One egg Wonder cake" (I think it was on a box of Wonder cake flour")

    I think I would put more vanilla in it. Other than that, It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vinegar in a cake? Its the first time I've heard of that..mum made a similar cake and would add cooking wine or sherry...I am going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the recipes Mac...I copied MANY of my moms before I left "home"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a recipe for 1-2-3-4 cake in my old ladies church cook book but it isn't chocolate...however it does have chocolate frosting. In this case the numbers are to help you remember the ingredient measurements with out having to refer to the recipe lollol I cup butter,1 cup sweet milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla,2 cups sugar,3 cups self rising flour,4 eggs and so on lollol your recipe looks good....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy Mac. Could it also be a cake that the school's made back in the good ol days? They use to call it wacky cake but I did hear someone say they could bake it in a can and they mades such great gift's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found the recipe Mac.... it's like saving a bit of history as well as having the recipe for your favorite cake...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy you aren't kidding it's an easy one. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete