Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ironic On Tomatoes

I am having a great year for tomatoes. Last year my plants didn't produce much and do to cross pollination do to seedling mix ups by my garden center I was highly disappointed by the results. I had mutant tomatoes.
This year I started all my own plants in the greenhouse. I put in over a 100 plants and now I am being over whelmed with tomatoes. I have been eating tomato sandwiches, tomato slices, tomatoes in my sauces and salads and just diced and quick cooked to mix with pasta. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes.
Last night around 10pm I diced up about 3 beefsteaks and mixed them in with some elbows, butter, salt and pepper  and enjoyed every bite.
I found a new favorite though for breakfast. I make up the bacon, then the gravy. I made bagels the past few weekends and split the bagel, slather them with a lot of gravy, put a whole sliced beefsteak over the gravy with a few slices of bacon. I guess I should name it huh? how about an McIronic BGT? Lol. I think that will work because I am sure a biscuit will work just as well. A very nice, fresh tasting breakfast thanks to the tomato.

I also canned up 2 quarts of diced tomatoes, 2 quarts of plum tomatoes and a quart of tomato juice. I am thinking that maybe I should stop eating so many so that I can can up enough for the winter.Over the past few weeks I have also made several quarts of Salsa. I love homemade Salsa. I like to taste the freshness of the tomatoes and the crispness of the peppers. I just use tomatoes, bell peppers, red onions, salt, pepper, oregano, fresh garlic and scallions in my salsa with some lime juice or vinegar. For spiciness I shake in some hot pepper flakes to taste. I use oregano because I hate the soapy taste of Cilantro.

17 comments:

  1. At least someone had good luck with maters. We got some from this one place that is suppose to be one of the greatest. The one's we got were suppose to weigh out at 2# once culitvated. Well needless to say we got some not much bigger than a silver dollar and now the plants are all out of the ground. Good old Wal Mart puts out better plants than this place did. lol I think you will turn a bit red from eating so many but that's OK, I bet you look good when you look like you are blushing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what happened to me last year Judy. I had bought beefsteaks but another variety of plants had been mixed in. I asked the garden center about the variances in the leaf shape and colors but was told the only way they could tell what type of tomatoes they were was by the marker that came in the sets. I already had the first set planted. Geeeesh. Russian roulette with tomato plants, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mac, if we had got over to this one place before the Tomato Man had passed away I'm sure we would have got some good plant's. But after he passed away (which we didn't know he had) his daughter took over. Obviously she doesn't know what she is doing! Never again, we will go to the local feed store and buy the beefstake plants next year. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Tomatoes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone remember the Simpson Episode with Tommaco? The tomatoes were crossed with tobbaco and no one could put one down. Everyone had nicotine cravings for the tomatoes. Even the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO! I think that was way before my time, Mac. ;;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess I missed it too cause I never watched the Simpsons. I'm glad you are getting lots of maters, Mac. I have made everything imaginable too from maters and have now given up and resorted to feeding them to the chickens.. I may get some interesting eggs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got quite a crop, Mac. I wouldn't mind some fresh toms about now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My tomatoes didn't do well this year...even with watering them the drought just did not make good tomatoes..have you sun dried any?? wonderful in spaghetti sauce and other dishes in the winter...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sun dried tomatoes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my garden isnt big enough to do what you guys do but good on ya its the best way as nothing taste better than home grown

    ReplyDelete
  12. I checked on making sun dried tomatoes. Unless you have a dehydrator, it seems like too much hassle to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have cheated by placing my tomatoes on a broiler pan and brushed them with olive oil and salt. I broiled /caramelized them into a sun dried state. I then canned them. I enjoyed them very much on a few pizzas with fresh mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting. I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do they sell olive oil down there?

    ReplyDelete