Saturday, October 20, 2007

Ironic Chef #15, Lasagna


I figured now that we are all moving and probably most likely settling into new homes a nice neighborly thing to do is to see just what type of Lasagna would make a nice new home warming gift.
Lets bake some Lasagnas. Lol...

I myself have always felt that the simpler the better as far as a lasagna is concerned. For starters I boil up my lasagna noodles. I know that some people like the no boil kind but I have never really cared for them. I just don't boil my lasagna noodles to the time required to cook them. I usual only boil them for about 8 minutes. I figure that while the lasagna bakes that will allow the noodles to finish cooking and to absorb some of the sauce. Doing it like this to me prevents the lasagna from being to runny also.
I make a simple sauce by browning some ground beef with some diced onions and peppers. I season the meat with some salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. For the sauce it may very depending on what I may have in the cupboard, What I like to use the best is 2 large cans of tomato sauce with one can of either dice, stewed or crushed plum tomatoes. I just add them right to the meat mixture after it has browned.
For the cheese mixture I must admit that I am not a big fan of ricotta cheese. I grew up with cottage cheese in our lasagnas so to this day I still prefer it. I just blend 2 eggs into a large mixing bowl with a large sized tub of cottage cheese. I mix in some parmesan cheese and some mozzarella cheese with a bit of salt and pepper.
to assemble the lasagna I start with coating the bottom of a deep casserole dish or pan with olive oil and a bit of the sauce. I then place a layer of the noodles over the sauce and then more sauce. Another layer and then a layer of the cheese mixture. Another few layers of the noodles and sauce until The noodles are used up. I then coat the top with sauce and then cover with shredded mozzarella cheese. My personal touch is a layer of pepperoni on the top. That makes it Mac's Lasagna, lol.
I usually bake my lasagna at about 375 with a piece of foil loosly over the top of the lasagna for about 1/2 hour and then remove the foil and bake it until the cheese is a nice golden brown. After I remove the lasagna from the oven I like to let it sit for about 15 minutes so that the cheese has a chance to set up.
For a side I like to make and Italian style herbed bread, I take my dough for a loaf of bread and roll it out as if I was going to make a pizza. I cover the top of the dough with olive oil, A bit of parmesan cheese and a pack of the 7 seas italian salad dressing mix. The kind you would use in the cruet and mix the vinegar and oil with. I then roll the dough up into a loaf. Seal the edges by pinching them closed.I bake the loaf seam side down for just about the same amount of time as the lasagna. This is a garlic bread that is out of this world. At times I have brushed the top of the loaf with an egg wash and sprinkled mozzarella cheese over it before baking.

I hope that you have enjoyed my Lasagna recipe and I hope to see what type of lasagnas everyone else makes.

15 comments:

  1. totally delicious.....I make mine almost like you Mac except I do like the baked, instead of boiled, noodles. I use to boil them but find the baked ones much easier to use and to me are just as tasty:):) Your bread sound wonderful. I usually make home made rolls or garlic bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant Lasagna

    Ingredients...

    8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked
    1 medium eggplant
    olive oil
    1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
    1 cup red wine
    1/2 cup hot water
    1 garlic clove
    1 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    salt and pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup sliced black olives
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    PREPARATION:
    Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds; fry in a nonstick skillet in hot oil on both sides until tender. Drain on brown paper or paper towels. Combine tomato paste, wine, water, garlic, basil, and salt, turmeric, and pepper.

    Simmer for 5 minutes and add bell pepper, onion and olives. Cook for 5 minutes longer.

    Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles in a buttered shallow baking dish. Cover noodles with a layer of eggplant slices and several spoonfuls of the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. Bake eggplant lasagna at 350° for 30 minutes. Eggplant lasagna serves 8. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you and like the cottage cheese but since you do it basically the same way as I do, now I'm going to let you serve me dinner. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzi, I actually make a Lasagna/ Eggplant Parmesan. I bread the Eggplant, fry it up to a nice golden brown and just put a layer of that into the Lasagna. It is soooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually make mine with half hamburger and half italian sausage. It you can't find the itatlian sausage just mix in some fennel seeds into the bulk sausage. I use the cottage cheese too, drained with an egg for binder. Garlic bread is either a big loaf of french bread or some hoagie buns spread with butter mixed with finely chopped garlic, sprinkled parmesan cheese and mozzerella with a dash of paprika for color on top. Bake til lightly golden brown....yum... I might have to actually set foot in my kitchen today to make something,lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Headed over to Vic's house*...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, Vic better get that lasagna in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. guess what I had for breakfast?? yup lasagna yummmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dixie, that has to be the breakfast of champions. Right up there with cold pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of em:):):)
    Hey your are not showing on my contact list?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geesh Mac ya showed up again something is screwy lollol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I tried doing it and it tastes soooo good!!! :)) keep up the great work! btw, nice primary photo!! :)

    ReplyDelete