Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Made My Own Stuffed Peppers

Mokie and Brats are teasers. I wonder how many of us have actually had the On-Cor version of stuffed peppers. They are almost as bad as their meatloaf, lol. It's really hard to eat something with catsup after trying something that they have thrown into a box and frozen. I do like their Salisbury steaks though. Stouffers makes pretty good stuffed peppers but I almost choked to death on them once when the outer layer of skin came off the pepper in my throat. I prefer home made when there is the time to make them. The amount of prep is very simple and quick.

Ingredients





4 large bell peppers seeded and cored saving the tops.


1 lb of ground beef


1 cup of minute rice


1 onion diced


2 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed


1 teaspoon of oregano


a pinch of hot pepper flakes.


salt and pepper to taste


2 large eggs


1/2 cup of bread crumbs


1 quart can of V8 juice


1-2 cups of chicken stock


a splash of vinegar



Directions



Mix the the ground beef, rice, garlic,oregano, hot pepper flakes and salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl. Beat together the eggs and mix well into the mixture. Add the bread crumbs and again mix well to combine all of the ingredients.



Stuff the peppers with the mixture making sure not to pack to tightly. Place the stuffed peppers into a crock pot, place the tops on them and pour the V8 juice and the chicken stock and vinegar over the peppers. I like to make sure the liquid covers the peppers. Again add salt and pepper to taste. Set the crock pot on the low setting and allow them to cook for 8 hours.



I like cooking stuffed peppers this way because as they cook they absorb the stock into the filling. For those that don't like peppers I just roll the filling into a giant sized meatball. We call those Porcupines. I also use the same filling with an addition of paprika for my stuffed cabbages but thats another recipe all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment