Monday, September 11, 2006

What's For Dinner

Ok, I am a glutten for punishment. We poured the footings today for the mansion we are going to build. 44 yrds of concrete just for the footings alone.  I come home after a 1 1/2  hour commute, get cleaned up and then like a dummy I volunteer to cook dinner. I think maybe I did it just so I could do a blog on it, lol.


We have always like the Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff. We are always dissatisfied by the amount that those little packettes make so I had made up my own homeade version and my family enjoys it so much more than the kind in tthose packettes.  Before I made the recipe I checked so many cooking sites for a recipe but was very disapointed by what I found. I didn't want something calling for fillet mingon or beef tenderloin. So the following is tthe recipe that I came up with.


Brown 1 lb of Hamburger  in a large saute pan that has a lid that can be used later in the recipe. Drain off excess fat from the hamburger.  Add  4 cups of water and 1 packette of  lipton beefy onion soup mix and a 5 oz can of mushroom pieces if you like them. Bring to a boil and then add 1 lb of Barilla brand Bow Tie pasta. Bring back to a boil and cover the pan with the lid. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. By this time most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cups of sour cream. If the sauce looks to thick add about 1/2 cup of milk. There is enough heat in the pasta to heat the milk and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste and add about 1 table spoon of worcester sauce if you like the flavor. 


 If you want something a little different with a Chinese flair, don't add the sour cream and milk. Add some broccoli, a quarter teaspoon of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic and 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce. I can see Vero cringing at the thought of Soy Sauce, lol. Seems she isn't use to Soy Sauce. It is not a condiment used in her part of West Virginia. I thought I would throw the Chinese version in just for her.


Well. it is 6:00 here so I had better get cookin.


No comments:

Post a Comment