Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Worst Nightmare

I mentioned that my family and I have Thanksgiving at my Inlaws. I love my Inlaws but at times I wonder what world or dimension they actually live in.


My Inlaws have kicks I call them. They will get something on their minds and then go crazy with it. Several years ago they wanted a pt bird. Now they have hundreds of birds in their home. You would think that you were in a tropical rain forest to step into their home.


About a month ago I guess thay decided to go on a Carb free diet. Can anyone tell me what one would eat for a Thanksgiving meal that wouldn't contain carbs? I know, Turkey and a few vegetables. Everything else though to my delight has carbs.  The cranberries, the mashed potatoes, the sweet potatoes. Lets not forget the bread, rolls and of course the stuffing and gravy. What's a dessert if there are no carbs?


Of course we luckily brought our carbs with us. I actually had someone at the dinner table tell me that now they can't even eat mashed potatoes anymore because when they do they feel ill. I looked at them and opened my mouth with the words, "how can you mentally make yourself sick with the thought of eating mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes are like the number one comfort food of all time". This did not go over very well. I had just hurt the feelings of the families trained, educated mental therapist, oh my. I can hear the complaining to my wife for weeks to come.


For dessert we had our pies. My youngest daughter was very proud of her first pumpkin pies that she had made and they were excellent. The Therapist (about 38 years old) had made a carb free cheese cake using yogurt or something that looked dreadful.Every time I turned around or made eye contact I was asked if I wanted a piece of the thing. I tried a piece to be polite and I would swear that if a cheese cake could be made with saw dust I was eating it. It did have a slight taste of Spamoni though. Cheese cake usually melts in ones mouth. This cheese cake was like eating roughage that cleaned the palate as it went down. I am terrible, I know.


My family always celebrates Thanksgiving on the weekend after. It's our tradition. Now I am hoping that everyone understands why.


No comments:

Post a Comment